WEA Commercial

What do parents think about AUS alumnus Kelly Riggle-Hower?
Kelly Riggle-Hower in class in Seattle

Monday, August 30, 2010

Promoting Literacy



One of my best classes this term has been the first of two classes on Literacy and Issues Methods. I have always loved reading and writing so it hasn't been a surprise that I have enjoyed this class but I have found myself especially intrigued with the challenge of promoting literacy in the home of families who may not have the interest or ability to do so otherwise.

In that vein, I just ran across a great blog article from The Change Agency highlighting a number of simple ways to promote literacy in the home (click here to read). They look at everything from labeling items around the house to decorating a child's room with maps and bulletin boards. There are also a lot of great links to full articles on other ways to create a literacy-rich environment outside the classroom. Great stuff!

So, to add my own two cents on promoting literacy I will leave you with my top three favorite books for young adults we read in this class-

1) The Giver, by Louis Lowry
2) Hatchet, by Gary Paulsen
3) The Absolutely True Diary of a Part Time Indian, by Sherman Alexie

No comments: